[ALUG] USB Backup Disk problems

nev young nev at nevilley.org.uk
Sun Apr 23 10:15:59 BST 2017

On 21/04/17 20:10, steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:
> Hi Geniuses!
>
> I have a 2TB Seagate USB disk that is being used with backuppc to
> store daily backups.  However, almost every day the backup is failing,
> and attempting to ls the drive gives "input/output error". Looking
> through DMESG shows multiple problems reading sectors on the disk, but
> I've yet to find a particular cause.  If I reboot the machine, the
> drive immediately starts working again. If I fsck it, it reports no
> errors.  The disk has two partitions on it, and the 2nd partition is
> used by SimpleBackup, and this seems to work fine. I'm currently
> backing up the backup before I do some more in-depth testing on it,
> and possibly reformat it.  I forgot to mention that both partitions
> are encrypted.  Do people think the disk is broken (bad sectors or
> hardware problems), or if not, any idea what's going on?
>
> Any ideas, straws to clutch at?

I had a similar problem of a usb disk giving i/o errors but was fine
(apart from some directory corruptions) on a re-boot.
The simple problem was insufficient current from the PSU. The drive
worked fine until it spun down. Then the next request pulled too much
current as the drive spun up and marked the drive in error.
A better PSU fixed my problem.

Hope your problem is just as simple.

regards
Nev