[ALUG] OT?: Wordpress hosts

John Cohen johnmcohen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:19:33 BST 2017

On 31 August 2017 at 09:58, Mark Rogers <mark at more-solutions.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a Wordpress host? By which I mean a company that
> provides and supports the Wordpress install and just leaves the
> customer to deal with the content, not a company who provides hosting
> onto which I could install Wordpress myself.
>
> A company my wife works with has been left in lurch after their
> existing host decided they're going to shut down, and I said I'd ask
> around, and I know a few people here are involved in hosting.
>
> Although it's a FOSS application running on a FOSS O/S it feels like
> it's only on-topic on a technicality, so I'm happy to take off-list
> replies or discuss here as others see fit.
>
> --
> Mark Rogers // More Solutions Ltd (Peterborough Office) // 0844 251 1450
> Registered in England (0456 0902) 21 Drakes Mews, Milton Keynes, MK8 0ER

I've used to host my WP sites on Dreamhost, but lately the performance
on sites has really deteriorated and if you want "optimised"
performance, they charge quite a bit. I'd personally run a VM on a vps
and install wordpress on it. If it's a bit too fiddly or time
consuming, Atlantic.net do one click installs via a simple LAMP
server, https://www.atlantic.net/community/howto/wordpress-atlanticnet-one-click/
although I haven't tested that setup myself. (You can give try it out
by spinning up an instance and only pay by the hour so virtually
nothing until you decide to commit)

John