[ALUG] OT?: Wordpress hosts

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Thu Aug 31 11:19:21 BST 2017

On 31 August 2017 at 10:19, John Cohen <johnmcohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've used to host my WP sites on Dreamhost, but lately the performance
> on sites has really deteriorated and if you want "optimised"
> performance, they charge quite a bit. I'd personally run a VM on a vps
> and install wordpress on it.

Me too, except the Dreamhost bit, but I've come across them and many
others in the past. WP hosting tends to be "cheap" (£3-5/mo) and you
do tend to get what you pay for. Yes, a VM from the likes of Atlantic
or DigitalOcean can be had for similar sums, but since all the bits
that frequently break are outside their scope they do tend to be
pretty reliable for the cost. Companies which try to deliver consumer
products (with support) for £5/mo tend to cut too many corners in my
experience.

If it were for me, I'd use a VM with WP installed myself - and indeed
I do run two WPMU installs on different servers for various purposes.
But I'd rather stay out of this one as it's not a favour for a friend
or a charity site, and quite honestly I don't want the responsibility;
I'm busy enough on other work!

One big annoyance with WP is that it really isn't that easy to pick up
a WP install from one location and install it somewhere else, and it
gets a hundred times worse when one end or both is WPMU rather than
straight WP. I've done it, I know how to do it, and as long as you
have time to iron out the bits that break it's not impossible, but I
think it's that bit I'm running scared of more than anything else.