[ALUG] Are there *any* decent web browsers out there now?!?!

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Dec 5 13:26:18 GMT 2017

I'm finally getting a bit fed up with Firefox, for a couple of reasons:-

    It's seems incapable of working with eBay without going to 100%
    CPU and slowly grinding to a halt.

    The last few updates have made it *look* decidedly clunky.

    Arcane configuration parameters required to make it so it can open
    files on one's local file system.

So, I've been looking at alternatives and there's not much that seems
any better (they have different issues in the main).

I've been trying chromium and it certainly seems faster than Firefox
and doesn't seem to grind to a halt on eBay, but:-

    I want a separate search bar

    You can't change the keyboard shortcuts

Is anything else any better?  I've been wondering about Vivaldi, same
underlying engine as Chromium but apparently much more configurable.
Has anyone here tried it?  I'm just a bit wary of going 'off piste' as
it were (not in the Ubuntu repositories).