[ALUG] Are there *any* decent web browsers out there now?!?!

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Thu Dec 7 11:01:49 GMT 2017

On 05/12/17 13:26, Chris Green wrote:
> I'm finally getting a bit fed up with Firefox, for a couple of reasons:-
>
>      It's seems incapable of working with eBay without going to 100%
>      CPU and slowly grinding to a halt.
>
>      The last few updates have made it *look* decidedly clunky.
>
>      Arcane configuration parameters required to make it so it can open
>      files on one's local file system.
>

> So, I've been looking at alternatives and there's not much that seems
> any better (they have different issues in the main).
>
> I've been trying chromium and it certainly seems faster than Firefox
> and doesn't seem to grind to a halt on eBay, but:-
>
>      I want a separate search bar
>
>      You can't change the keyboard shortcuts
>

> Is anything else any better?  I've been wondering about Vivaldi, same
> underlying engine as Chromium but apparently much more configurable.
> Has anyone here tried it?  I'm just a bit wary of going 'off piste' as
> it were (not in the Ubuntu repositories).

My initial suggestion would be reopen firefox in safe mode and then see
if it works OK.  I have NO PROBLEM with ebay at all with firefox.  If it
works OK, backup your bookmarks, unintsall it, purge it & do a fresh
install.

The most secure & supported browsers are firefox & chrome/chromium.  If
you move away from these you're likely to get a browser that doesn't
respond as quickly to security issues.

There are of course many other browsers.  I used to use Opera all the
time.  It's closed source but standards compliant & seemed reliable.
Many people are talking about Palemoon now - it behaves like firefox
used to.

Not quite sure why opening files on your local machine would be an issue.

Steve