[ALUG] Are there *any* decent web browsers out there now?!?!

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Dec 7 11:54:14 GMT 2017

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:01:49AM +0000, steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:
> On 05/12/17 13:26, Chris Green wrote:
> > I'm finally getting a bit fed up with Firefox, for a couple of reasons:-
> >
> >      It's seems incapable of working with eBay without going to 100%
> >      CPU and slowly grinding to a halt.
> >
> >      The last few updates have made it *look* decidedly clunky.
> >
> >      Arcane configuration parameters required to make it so it can open
> >      files on one's local file system.
> >

> > So, I've been looking at alternatives and there's not much that seems
> > any better (they have different issues in the main).
> >
> > I've been trying chromium and it certainly seems faster than Firefox
> > and doesn't seem to grind to a halt on eBay, but:-
> >
> >      I want a separate search bar
> >
> >      You can't change the keyboard shortcuts
> >

> > Is anything else any better?  I've been wondering about Vivaldi, same
> > underlying engine as Chromium but apparently much more configurable.
> > Has anyone here tried it?  I'm just a bit wary of going 'off piste' as
> > it were (not in the Ubuntu repositories).
> >

> My initial suggestion would be reopen firefox in safe mode and then see if
> it works OK.  I have NO PROBLEM with ebay at all with firefox.  If it works
> OK, backup your bookmarks, unintsall it, purge it & do a fresh install.

That's a point I guess, there might be something in my system that's
causing the problem.  I have very few Firefox extensions though.

> The most secure & supported browsers are firefox & chrome/chromium.  If you
> move away from these you're likely to get a browser that doesn't respond as
> quickly to security issues.

Vivaldi is pretty close to chrome/chromium, uses the same extensions
for example, so will mostly keep up with their security etc. I think.

> There are of course many other browsers.  I used to use Opera all the time.
> It's closed source but standards compliant & seemed reliable.  Many people
> are talking about Palemoon now - it behaves like firefox used to.
>
> Not quite sure why opening files on your local machine would be an issue.

It's a security thing, *links* to files on the local file system are
not allowed from web pages .  I.e.  you can open a link
file:///tmp/myfile by entering that in the address bar but you *can't*
have a link to file:///tmp/myfile on a web page, it is silently
ignored if you click on it.

There's a messy workaround in Firefox using 'capability.policy'
settings (that's what I meant by 'arcane configuration parameters').