[ALUG] Are there *any* decent web browsers out there now?!?!

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Dec 7 12:23:20 GMT 2017

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:54:14AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:01:49AM +0000, steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:
> > On 05/12/17 13:26, Chris Green wrote:
> > My initial suggestion would be reopen firefox in safe mode and then see if
> > it works OK.  I have NO PROBLEM with ebay at all with firefox.  If it works
> > OK, backup your bookmarks, unintsall it, purge it & do a fresh install.
> >
> That's a point I guess, there might be something in my system that's
> causing the problem.  I have very few Firefox extensions though.

Here's what top shows me almost as soon as I search for something on
eBay:-

  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
32209 chris     20   0 2419636 623696 153632 R 115.6  7.8   1:13.40 Web Content
11127 chris     20   0 2631504 363904 109840 S  33.2  4.5   5:41.42 firefox

After that, it continues similarly until I leave eBay, then it settles
back to normality. Re-open an eBay window and it goes back up to using
a large proportion of my CPU (core I5, fairly fast).

... and I just tried firefox in safe mode, as soon as I hit eBay:-

 PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 1539 chris     20   0 2218152 403968 152128 R 114.3  5.0   0:12.06 Web Content
 1487 chris     20   0 2226416 318996 142412 S  37.9  4.0   0:08.75 firefox

If I leave eBay and go to (for example) Wikipedia:-

  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 1539 chris     20   0 2304840 243044 126516 S   8.0  3.0   1:10.36 Web Content

it's actually quite rare that firefox/Web Content gets up near the top
of the 'top' display when it's working normally, like every other
process it moves around.  It's just eBay!

After looking at this I'm amazed at how directly it's linked to eBay,
I sort of thought it was eBay before but now I can just switch the
heavy CPU usage on and off by opening and closing a single eBay tab.
If I spend a lot of time searching eBay I think things get so clogged
that the only way out is to stop and restart firefox.  It's only when
I've tried opening a single tab and moving to and from eBay that the
connection is so obvious.  When you leave the eBay page it takes
several seconds for the CPU usage to drop back to low/normal levels.

I guess I could simply use a different browser for eBay but that's not
ideal.