[ALUG] Are there *any* decent web browsers out there now?!?!

Huge huge at huge.org.uk
Thu Dec 7 12:44:48 GMT 2017

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 12:23 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> After looking at this I'm amazed at how directly it's linked to eBay,
> I sort of thought it was eBay before but now I can just switch the
> heavy CPU usage on and off by opening and closing a single eBay tab.

eBay compromised by a bitcoin miner?

https://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2017/10/unit42-unauthorized-coin-mining-browser/

It's relatively straightforward to compromise an advert exchange to
deliver malware instead of advertising.

Or it could just be shitty JS. Something "busy waiting", perhaps? Have
you tried running eBay with "NoScript" installed? (Will it even woirk?
Dunno.)

BTW, I've had similar problems with The Daily Telegraph in the last few
days.

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 49th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183