[ALUG] Managing cron and similar E-Mails from headless systems

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Feb 17 12:35:41 GMT 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:06:51PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:58:34AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> > > Use SSMTP and set up the config file properly...
> > >
> > I looked at SSMTP but it doesn't seem to be maintained and I can't see
> > how to set the sender name either.
> >
> > As I said above setting the domain doesn't help because the domain
> > used has to be a real domain which intermediate mail servers can look
> > up to check.  So I can't just set the domain to rpi.isbd.co.uk because
> > there isn't any such domain.
> >
> > If one could set a default From: line like:-
> >     From: Rasberry Pi <root at isbd.co.uk>
> >
> > that would do the necessary but I can't see how to do it.
>
> Exim on Debian uses /etc/email-addresses to determine how to expand
> local address for outgoing mail. Perhaps that might help?

Thank you!  :-)

That took me to *exactly* what I need, postfix has a similar parameter
(and I'm much more familiar with Postfix):-

    smtp_generic_maps (default: empty)

        Optional lookup tables that perform address rewriting in the
        Postfix SMTP client, typically to transform a locally valid
        address into a globally valid address when sending mail across the
        Internet. This is needed when the local machine does not have its
        own Internet domain name, but uses something like
        localdomain.local instead.

That description just about encapsulates my problem!  ... and provides
a solution, I can set the 'From: ' address using this mechanism, I
think.