[ALUG] Managing cron and similar E-Mails from headless systems

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Fri Feb 17 13:23:49 GMT 2017

On 17/02/17 11:58, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:10:33AM +0000, Laurie Brown wrote:

[SNIP]

> I looked at SSMTP but it doesn't seem to be maintained and I can't see
> how to set the sender name either.
>
> As I said above setting the domain doesn't help because the domain
> used has to be a real domain which intermediate mail servers can look
> up to check.  So I can't just set the domain to rpi.isbd.co.uk because
> there isn't any such domain.
>
> If one could set a default From: line like:-
>     From: Rasberry Pi <root at isbd.co.uk>
>
> that would do the necessary but I can't see how to do it.

---- cut here ----

# cat /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
#
# Config file for sSMTP sendmail
#
# The person who gets all mail for userids < 1000
# Make this empty to disable rewriting.
root=cict-root at convergent-ict.com

# The place where the mail goes. The actual machine name is required no
# MX records are consulted. Commonly mailhosts are named mail.domain.com
mailhub=smtp.convergent-ict.com:587

# Where will the mail seem to come from?
rewriteDomain=###.convergent-ict.com

# The full hostname
hostname=###.convergent-ict.com

# Use SSL/TLS before starting negotiation
UseTLS=Yes
UseSTARTTLS=Yes

# Username/Password
AuthUser=######
AuthPass=######

# Are users allowed to set their own From: address?
# YES - Allow the user to specify their own From: address
# NO - Use the system generated From: address
#FromLineOverride=YES

---- cut here ----

That works for me...

Cheers, Laurie.