[ALUG] Correct MX record configuration

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Feb 19 21:53:33 GMT 2017

This may relate to my recent long question about loss of E-Mail.

Can anyone tell me *exactly* how an MX record for my home server
zbmc.eu should be confiugured?

Currently it's configured to point to the 'root' A record for zbmc.eu,
so the MX record is for zbmc.eu also:-

    chris at cheddar$ host zbmc.eu
    zbmc.eu has address 84.92.49.234
    zbmc.eu mail is handled by 10 zbmc.eu.
    chris at cheddar$

However I *think* this may be wrong and I should create a second A
record for the same IP address and point the MX record to that
instead.  I don't really understand why this should make any
diffrerence though.

Any experts (or at least people who know more than me) here?