[ALUG] Correct MX record configuration

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Mon Feb 20 10:47:04 GMT 2017

On 19/02/17 21:53, Chris Green wrote:
> This may relate to my recent long question about loss of E-Mail.
>
> Can anyone tell me *exactly* how an MX record for my home server
> zbmc.eu should be confiugured?
>
> Currently it's configured to point to the 'root' A record for zbmc.eu,
> so the MX record is for zbmc.eu also:-
>
>     chris at cheddar$ host zbmc.eu
>     zbmc.eu has address 84.92.49.234
>     zbmc.eu mail is handled by 10 zbmc.eu.
>     chris at cheddar$
>
> However I *think* this may be wrong and I should create a second A
> record for the same IP address and point the MX record to that
> instead.  I don't really understand why this should make any
> diffrerence though.
>
> Any experts (or at least people who know more than me) here?

I define them thus:

@convergent-ict.com::mg3.convergent-ict.com:10:86400
@convergent-ict.com::mg5.convergent-ict.com:10:86400

Which translates as:

# dnsqr mx convergent-ict.com
15 convergent-ict.com:
136 bytes, 1+2+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 15 convergent-ict.com
answer: convergent-ict.com 47168 MX 10 mg3.convergent-ict.com
answer: convergent-ict.com 47168 MX 10 mg5.convergent-ict.com
                               Laurie Brown
                           laurie at brownowl.com