[ALUG] What's a fast way to check for something on LAN?

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Wed Feb 22 14:22:17 GMT 2017

On 22/02/17 13:50, Chris Green wrote:
> I want a fast (as in less than a second, not 'computer fast') way of
> checking if a particular private IP is present on the LAN.

[SNIP]

---- cut here ----
~ $ nmap -sn 10.0.1.254

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-02-22 14:16 GMT
Nmap scan report for 10.0.1.254
Host is up (0.00078s latency).
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.00 seconds

 ~ $ nmap -sn 10.0.1.80

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-02-22 14:17 GMT
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -Pn
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 3.00 seconds

---- cut here ----

If it's there it's faster, so just change your logic...

Cheers, Laurie.

                               Laurie Brown
                           laurie at brownowl.com