[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Tue Jul 4 11:05:19 BST 2017

On 28/06/17 16:34, Paul Tansom wrote:

> My next question is going to be what to do about the family computers runing
> Ubuntu (son, mum-in-law and soon dad). Preferably an in place upgrade, but
> stick with the default of Gnome or switch? I'll put that off for a while!

I managed an in-place "upgrade" from ubuntu to xubuntu by uninstalling
ubuntu-desktop package and installed xubuntu-desktop. I think that's all
I had to do, but I also uninstalled some compiz stuff and changed
desktop "manager" s/w because I had a slow machine with limited graphics
capability.  There are articles about how to switch desktops or flavours
of ubuntu.  Good luck!

Obviously backup first, in case it doesn't work!

Steve