[ALUG] sudo &

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 11:32:10 BST 2017

Is there an easy was to launch a process with sudo and send it into
the background?

$ sudo myapp &
.. will go straight into the background then stop, waiting for a
password to be entered. So I have to bring it back to the foreground
(fg), enter the password, stop it (ctrl-z) then send it back into the
background (bg).

Of-course what normally happens is that I don't realise it's stopped
at all, only to come back several hours after a long process should
have been running to find it hasn't yet started....

I'm sure there's a better way?

Mark