[ALUG] Any DNS/systemd experts here? I have a DNS problem on new xubuntu install

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Jun 8 11:53:19 BST 2017

On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 11:26:27AM +0100, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 7 June 2017 at 19:39, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > If anyone wants more detail I can post them.
>

> I have similar issues so would appreciate additional info.

OK.

What I have done is to add the search domain for local machines to the
file /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head.  This is the file header that
resolvconf uses when it creates /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf at system
boot time.  /etc/resolv.conf is just a symbolic link to the /run file.

So my /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head is:-

    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    # 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
    # run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

    search zbmc.eu

Is that as much as you need?

By the way that "systemd-resolve --status" is actually quite handy,
it's an improvement on the old dnsmasq based system where it was
actually very difficult to work out what name servers you were
actually using.