[ALUG] SSH clients

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Jun 9 18:43:15 BST 2017

** Mark Rogers <mark at more-solutions.co.uk> [2017-06-09 13:42]:
> Usually I just SSH directly from my terminal, but that's not a great
> way to keep track of server IP addresses and keys etc.
>
> So, what do others do?
** end quote [Mark Rogers]

Use the config file in the .ssh directory (it may not exist so you'll have to create it). The format is:

Host servername
Hostname servername.domain.tld
Port 22
User username
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa

o The servername is just a friendly name you can type after the ssh command
o It will assume port 22 if you don't specify, but if you run on a non standard port use this line
o Your login username will be used unless you specify
o Again it will assume the standard key file, but you can specify a different one for each host if you like

man ssh_config will tell you more.

--
 Paul Tansom  |  Aptanet Ltd.  |  https://www.aptanet.com/  |  023 9238 0001
 Vice Chair, FSB Portsmouth & SE Hampshire Branch  |  http://www.fsb.org.uk/