[ALUG] Need new laptop AND seek recovery of files from VirtualBox

Ted Harding ted.harding at wlandres.net
Sun Jun 11 21:44:43 BST 2017

On Sun, 2017-05-28 at 17:17 +0100, Phil Ashby wrote:
> On 28/05/17 12:00 Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>  > Ted Harding <ted.harding at wlandres.net> wrote:
> >> The Linux filesystems are in VirtualBox ".vdi" files on
> >> the Windows XP system, which I was able to locate after
> >> booting with the Slackware CD. I've been looking around
> >> extensively for info about how to set about this. This
> >> does not seem to be straightfoward unless the VDI file
> >> is transerred (somehpow ... ) to another machine on which
> >> VirtualBox is installed.
> >>
> > I think that's the only practical way, copy the .vdi files to a system
> > which has VirtualBox installed and then get that system to boot the
> > virtual linux.
> >
> > -- Chris Green
>
> I've done similar in the past. Get the new machine sorted first, then
> either: boot up a live CD on the victim and export the local storage to
> the new machine (probably using the nice easy GUI 'sharing' stuff in
> Gnome these days); or remove the physical disk(s) and attach to the new
> machine via a USB caddy / directly into a disk slot if you have one
> spare, this may be easier than trying to get sharing guff to work.
>
> Either way, you can copy off the whole VirtualBox VMs folder from the
> victim's storage, then work on a nice new/fast/not-broken machine to get
> them going again.
>
> I use a similar approach to properly scan machines for malware, on the
> basis that one should never try and scan from within the possibly
> compromised OS. I export the raw disks using a live CD to another
> machine and scan from there.
>
> Cheers,
> Phil

Thanks to all who replied to my original post. Good advice (which I had
partially sussed out for myself). I am now in the situation where I can
copy the VDI files -- have already done so to a seperate server (not
my own machine), which has VirtualBox installed and from which,
therefore, I should be able to copy across the files I really want from
the booted virtual machines..

What I now need is a good replacement laptop. Does anyone have one which
they would be prepared to sell (for reasonable price) which has Linux
(preferably Debian, or Ubuntu), plenty of disk space and RAM, and on
which, if need be, VirtualBox could be installed.

Failing that, can anyone suggest a good place to buy a good Linux
laptop? I'm about halfway between King's Lynn and Cambridge,
so on the King's Lynn/Downham Market/Littleport/Ely/Cambridge axis.
I'd prefer tp avoid having to go into Norwich -- or even Cambridge!
[access to shops not easy].

With thanks, and all best wishes,
Ted.