[ALUG] SSH clients

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Mon Jun 12 11:41:31 BST 2017

On 12/06/17 11:15, samwise wrote:
> Hi, Mark.
>
> I try to use KeePass [http://keepass.info], a password manager to keep
> a record of all my access credentials and servers.  The original
> application can be run on Linux using Mono or under WINE.
> Alternatively, KeePassX [https://www.keepassx.org] is a cross-platform
> port.
>
> The application allows you to store your usernames, passwords and URLs
> securely in an encrypted database which can be easily synchronised
> across multiple devices, including Mac, Windows, Android etc.  As well
> as storing the basic username and passwords, you can use the URL
> override feature for the SSH protocol to allow you to Open a terminal
> e.g. PuTTY directly from the app and log you in to the target host
> directly.  It will also let you override the SFTP protocol to open up,
> e.g. Filezilla.  You can use the additional KeeAgent plugin to allow
> you to store your private keys (similar to PuTTY's PAGEANT) in the
> database file, as well as regular passwords.
>
> It is better for storing credentials than natively using the session
> manager in apps like PuTTY or Filezilla because it will store /all/
> the information required for the connection (username, password and
> host details) in an encrypted file storage which can be easily backed
> up.
>
> Lots of documentation on how to use it on the main KeePass website.
>
> HTH,
>
> Peter.

I run KeePass2 on Mint Cinnamon straight from the repositories. No need
for Wine at all. To keep it up-to-date it's best to do this:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jtaylor/keepass
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install keepass2

With this PPA KeePass will automatically be updated when you run sudo
apt-get upgrade (or when running the Update Manager).

jtaylor can be trusted, he's an Ubuntu member (astrob0t).

I keep my database on DropBox so I can get to it on any device, and I
also run a KeePass2 compatible app (Keepass2Android) on my Android phone
which looks for the database on DropBox..

As my SSH connections are all key-pair based, I haven't used the SSH
functionality you mention. In fact, I didn't know it existed! Because of
that I just has a quick look at the plugins available (a lot!) and found
these:

http://keepass.info/plugins.html#puttyagent

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers, Laurie.