[ALUG] SSH clients

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jun 13 16:37:08 BST 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 04:00:10PM +0100, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 12 June 2017 at 22:12, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > Finally I have local DNS on the LAN at home so all systems are
> > accessible by their name alone when on the LAN.
>
> If only I could persuade my box to use the local DNS for hostnames I'd
> do this too....
>
> Definitely seems to be a "feature" of Ubuntu 17.04 / systemd-resolve
> that passing unqualified hostnames to DNS isn't done any more, I now
> have two systems with this problem.

Have you tried my workaround of modifying /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
as follows:-

    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    # 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
    # run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

    search zbmc.eu

Where, of course, zbmc.eu is your local doamin's name.

Also, do you have a secondary DNS returned by your DHCP server?  This
can cause the same problem because 17.04 will change to the secondary
DNS and *stay* there if there's any sort of hiccough with the first
DNS.