[ALUG] SSH clients

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Wed Jun 14 10:45:03 BST 2017

On 13/06/17 16:52, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 13 June 2017 at 16:21, Laurie Brown <laurie at brownowl.com> wrote:
>>
>> DNSmasq is your friend...
>
> It is indeed, but 17.04 isn't letting me talk to it!
>
> Specifically: dnsmasq is what I have running on a server in my office,
> and my desktop is set to use it via DHCP . A lookup for anything with
> a dot in it works, but without it doesn't get passed to my dnsmasq
> server:
>
> $ dig myhost.msl-office.co.uk    #works
> $ dig virtualhost.myhost    #works
> $ dig myhost    #fails
> $ dig @192.168.1.5 myhost    #works (where 192.168.1.5 is my server
> running dnsmasq)

Ah! I confess I haven't tried it with 17.04 at all. I use it extensively
in 14.04 and it works well.

I have a situation where I need split-horizon DNS (which djbdns can do
as well). Mobile device users, when in-house, need to access internal
services with what is effectively the external domain so that when they
leave the internal network, the same domains work, but point to a
different IP address.

Basically dnscache intercepts the call to an external domain and returns
a local address, which is what I think you need.

> Not sure if the off-list reply was deliberate so I haven't "corrected"
> it, but feel free to reply back to the list.

It wasn't! hit the wrong button in a hurry! Sorry!

Cheers, Laurie.

                               Laurie Brown
                           laurie at brownowl.com