[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

Ted Harding ted.harding at wlandres.net
Mon Jun 26 21:42:15 BST 2017

On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 19:37 +0100, Huge wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 19:29 +0100, Ted Harding wrote:
> > Thanks for an impressively prompt reply, Bev!
> > But can you tell me where in https://www.linuxmint.com/
> > it says that it has (or can install) Gnome 2?
>
> I'm running Mint17 with MATE (Mah-tay) desktop and although I have no
> idea which version of Gnome it runs, nor indeed how to find out, it has
> the workspace switcher you describe.
>
> This says MATE is Gnome2 (and Cinnamon, the other standard desktop) is
> Gnome3.
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/mint-17-the-best-linux-desktop-to-date/
>
> I'm happy to look at anything on my system you might want to know.
>
> Rgds,
> H.

Many thanks to Bev, "Huge", and Phil Thane (private reply), for
suggesting Linux Mint MATE and for confirming that this is indeed
based on Gnome 2. So I think I'll go for that.

I guess I'll start off with a live CD/DVD so that I can see what
it's like in detail, before settling down to the full install
from an install DVD.

The Linux Mint website offers downloads of a variety of ISOs
for building CDs/DVDs. However, I'm currently short of resources
(lack of remaining disk-space on my one working laptop), so I'm
wondering where to look to buy one. Suggestions?

Or could someone oblige (for suitable reward) by making one
for me?

As stated previously, I'm near Littleport, on the King's Lynn
to Downham Market to Ely to Cambridge axis, so that area would
be more convenient than trecking out to Thetford/Diss/Norwich
or the like.

With thanks again, and best wishes,
Ted.