[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jun 27 09:12:40 BST 2017

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:24:24PM +0100, Bev Nicolson wrote:
> On 26/06/17 21:42, Ted Harding wrote:
> >
> > I guess I'll start off with a live CD/DVD so that I can see what
> > it's like in detail, before settling down to the full install
> > from an install DVD.
> >
> > The Linux Mint website offers downloads of a variety of ISOs
> > for building CDs/DVDs. However, I'm currently short of resources
> > (lack of remaining disk-space on my one working laptop), so I'm
> > wondering where to look to buy one. Suggestions?
> >
> This looks OK: http://thelinuxshop.co.uk/

I've never really understood the apparently huge importance to poeple
of what 'desktop' they're using.  I suppose to some extent because I
used to work (as in my job) on Solaris and went home to a Linux box
(after I left cygwin) the environment was always changing so I just
got used to it.

I have stayed with XFCE over the years (with the odd excursion into
LXDE) and that has kept me happy.  I did have KDE available as an
alternative one a few systems for a while but never found it offered
any advantages really.  On Solaris I used FVWM and I also had that on
my home system for a while, if it was still *easily* available I'd
probably use it.  However using a non-standard WM/Desktop does mean
support is a bir more difficult.