[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Tue Jun 27 09:42:22 BST 2017

On 26/06/17 19:28, Huge wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 19:18 +0100, Bev Nicolson wrote:
>> Ah. Well the answer I got a while back was this, Ted:
>>
>> https://www.linuxmint.com/
>
> It's what I use and I'm very pleased with it.

Ted,

I use Mint Cinnamon 17.3 and 18.1 every day, and can confirm that
although they are based on Gnome 3, the functionality you require is
built-in. LMC uses a tool called expo to manage workspaces (right-click
on a workspace to launch it).

You may not be aware but the Mint team got fed up of the way Gnome was
going and forked it, keeping and enhancing the parts they like and the
community wanted, and adding new functionality.

I can't recommend LMC enough, and can confirm that - personally - I
didn't much like MATE.

Anyway, you don't need MATE to have the functionality you require, nor
do you need Gnome 2 if you go with LMC.

Maybe Ben could do you a live disk of both LMC and LMM for you to try.

Cheers, Laurie.
                               Laurie Brown
                           laurie at brownowl.com