[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

Ted Harding ted.harding at wlandres.net
Tue Jun 27 10:12:35 BST 2017

     A. On Tue, 2017-06-27 at 09:42 +0100, Laurie Brown wrote:
> On 26/06/17 19:28, Huge wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 19:18 +0100, Bev Nicolson wrote:
> >> Ah. Well the answer I got a while back was this, Ted:
> >>
> >> https://www.linuxmint.com/
> >
> > It's what I use and I'm very pleased with it.
>
> Ted,
>
> I use Mint Cinnamon 17.3 and 18.1 every day, and can confirm that
> although they are based on Gnome 3, the functionality you require is
> built-in. LMC uses a tool called expo to manage workspaces (right-click
> on a workspace to launch it).
>
> You may not be aware but the Mint team got fed up of the way Gnome was
> going and forked it, keeping and enhancing the parts they like and the
> community wanted, and adding new functionality.
>
> I can't recommend LMC enough, and can confirm that - personally - I
> didn't much like MATE.
>
> Anyway, you don't need MATE to have the functionality you require, nor
> do you need Gnome 2 if you go with LMC.
>
> Maybe Ben could do you a live disk of both LMC and LMM for you to try.
> Cheers, Laurie.

Many thanks, Laurie. That clarifies a number of things! And, yes,
live disks of LMC and LMM is an excellent suggestion. And I like
(and really sympathise with) the reasons the Mint team went the
way they did. In fact, "the way Gnome was going" turned out to
be the main reason I have'nt upgraded my Debian for years!

Best wishes,
Ted.