[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Tue Jun 27 23:48:47 BST 2017

On 27/06/17 09:12, Chris Green wrote:
> I've never really understood the apparently huge importance to poeple
> of what 'desktop' they're using.

When you've spent 20 odd years working with a particular style of gui,
you tend to get accustomed to it.  You get used to having multiple
windows on a screen.  You get used to keyboard shortcuts. You get used
to a scroll bar being there, and clicking below the "thumb" taking you
down a page at a time.

But then along comes Gnome 3 which was redesigned because "the gui was
getting in the way of efficient working" and decide that it's more
efficient to have each window in its own desktop.  That scrollbars
should have right-click do what left-click used to do, and left click
take you to where you clicked, and have the scrollbar disappear when
you're not over it...

I used Windows 3 up to Windows XP, and Gnome 2 and could easily switch
between the two because the GUIs worked in the same way.  I tried Gnome
3 and Ubuntu's unity and basically hated both of them. Newer versions of
Windows I also don't like.  Basically because they're very different to
what I'm used to and what I find works. Also, their improvements don't
(to me) seem to improve anything.

However... I know it's just personal taste, and some people like the new
versions of Windows, and/or Gnome 3 and/or Unity.

Steve