[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Wed Jun 28 09:59:39 BST 2017

On 27/06/17 23:48, steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:
> On 27/06/17 09:12, Chris Green wrote:
>> I've never really understood the apparently huge importance to poeple
>> of what 'desktop' they're using.
>
> When you've spent 20 odd years working with a particular style of gui,
> you tend to get accustomed to it.  You get used to having multiple
> windows on a screen.  You get used to keyboard shortcuts. You get used
> to a scroll bar being there, and clicking below the "thumb" taking you
> down a page at a time.
>
> But then along comes Gnome 3 which was redesigned because "the gui was
> getting in the way of efficient working" and decide that it's more
> efficient to have each window in its own desktop.  That scrollbars
> should have right-click do what left-click used to do, and left click
> take you to where you clicked, and have the scrollbar disappear when
> you're not over it...
>
> I used Windows 3 up to Windows XP, and Gnome 2 and could easily switch
> between the two because the GUIs worked in the same way.  I tried Gnome
> 3 and Ubuntu's unity and basically hated both of them. Newer versions of
> Windows I also don't like.  Basically because they're very different to
> what I'm used to and what I find works. Also, their improvements don't
> (to me) seem to improve anything.
>
> However... I know it's just personal taste, and some people like the new
> versions of Windows, and/or Gnome 3 and/or Unity.

Steve,

All of the above!

LMC is very like Windows 7, which is the last version of 'doze I used in
anger. Whatever else is wrong with Windows, the XP/W7 interface was
pretty good, and I've come to really like LMC, and find working with it
a doddle. Of course, it also does lots of extra things XP/W7 never
could, so that's all good too.

If I have one gripe, it's that I'd like to be able to set a delay on the
hot corners, but that's being addressed, I understand.

Cheers, Laurie.
                               Laurie Brown
                           laurie at brownowl.com