[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

Phil Thane phil at pthane.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 10:24:45 BST 2017

One of the many great things about Linux and free Software generally is
choice.

When I started experimenting with a Linux dektop I used Win 98 desktop and
2000 server at work, and 95 at home. With very slow dial-up internet
downloading a distro would have taken days so I bought SuSE 8.0 on a set of
CDs. Default desktop was KDE2 which didn't seem much different to what I was
used to, and crucially it had Kmail/Kontact which was much like Outlook.

Once I'd gained a bit of confidence I tried other desktops and distros and
started writing about them for Micro Mart, but I kept coming back to KDE, on
RedHat/Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva, and others I've forgotten. Ubuntu was
impressive when it arrived, and for me got even better when Kubuntu appeared.

I wavered when KDE4 was released too early and ran LXDE on my main machine for
a year or more, but reverted to KDE when it became more stable. KDE5 is even
better. Kontact on Kubuntu got flaky though, frequently needing to be stopped,
have it's cache wiped and restarted. So I switched to the KDE version of Mint
which seems almost the same but more stable.

That aside my wife has an old Kubuntu LTS version that works OK so will last a
bit longer. I have Bodhi on an old laptop I got FOC from a NWLUG member before
I left N Wales. Bodhi sems to use a custom version of Enlightenment,  I've
never enquired too deeply, it was just a stopgap while most of my kit was in
storage during the move. I've got an old Dell netbook too with Lubuntu and
Gcompris on it to amuse the eldest (6 year old) grand-daughter. And an old
desktop running LAMP (Lubuntu etc...) as a webserver, mostly used with
Nextcloud.

They all do what the users need and the great thing is if KDE 6 or whatever
turns out like KDE 4 (or Windows ME) there's plenty of others to use instead.

--
Phil Thane

www.pthane.co.uk
phil at pthane.co.uk