[ALUG] Linux with Gnome-2?

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Jun 28 16:11:37 BST 2017

** steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk <steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk> [2017-06-28 14:23]:
> On 28/06/17 09:18, Laurie Brown wrote:
> > > >
> > > As I understand it, Cinnamon is cloned Gnome 2 but then improved. Mate
> > > is Mint's replacement for Gnome.  I expect that they're both "better"
> > > than Gnome 3 for you, and for me.
> > According to Wikipedia it's Gnome 3-based.
> >
> > This desktop is running LMC 17.3:

** end quote [steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk]

Having just installed Ubuntu MATE on my laptop to take a look and decide where
I'm going after Unity (Gnome is looking far from promising and more like a
toolkit to create a decent desktop with, if you can find the right extensions
and enough of them!), I've found it very much Gnome 2 like. Things I've liked
and then remembered I was using in Gnome 2 before the change to Unity. Some of
them feel a bit dated now, but things can be tweaked to be more modern if you
want to. A good amount of what is happening with MATE is under the hood with
the migration from Gnome 2 libraries to Gnome 3. I've not tried Cinnamon or
Mint, but MATE is looking very good for people who like Gnome 2, and
interestingly, can be configured surprisingly well for people, like me, who
have grown to rather like Unity. I guess personally I'm on a win win there :)

--
 Paul Tansom  |  Aptanet Ltd.  |  https://www.aptanet.com/  |  023 9238 0001
 Vice Chair, FSB Portsmouth & SE Hampshire Branch  |  http://www.fsb.org.uk/