[ALUG] Strange PC lock-up

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Wed Mar 22 17:47:44 GMT 2017

On 22 March 2017 at 16:22, Adam Bower <adam at thebowery.co.uk> wrote:

> I've had this when I had a failing disk that would just stop responding.
>
> Makes it very hard to launch any programs.

It wasn't launching programs that was the issue though (I do know what
you mean). The whole GUI had stopped responding (couldn't drag apps
around etc), and the biggest tell was that the clock had stopped
updating. The fact that the mouse still moved is what hinted at a
graphics card issue, as I can imagine that working at a different
level (that and finding references to nouveau in the logs).

On a whim I have installed the nVidia proprietary drivers to see if
that helps. We'll see if it becomes more stable. If not I'm going to
get better at note taking (eg recording the exact time it locks up
from the frozen clock, so I can see exactly what syslog and other logs
say for that time). Until I replaced the PC I had just (wrongly!)
accepted it was a PC issue and not kept any proper notes.

A lot will depend on whether it locks up tonight I guess...