[ALUG] SSH tunnelling

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 11:38:05 BST 2017

On 28 March 2017 at 09:23, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 09:02:26AM +0100, Mark Rogers wrote:
> > I need to access the web server on a VM in my office, from my laptop.
> > I have SSH access to an intermediate PC and from there to the VM.
> >
> > Ie: Laptop -> PC -> VM
> >
> > How do I set up a tunnel from laptop through PC to VM to give me
> > access to port 80 on the VM?
>
> I use an ssh tunnel to access a little system on my boat, the
> fundamental bit is that the system you're trying to access has to set up
> a tunnel by connecting 'outwards' with something like:-

I'm not sure if I explained what I wanted badly, or I'm not properly
understanding the answers, as everyone has (I think, anyway) answered
in a pretty similar vein...

I am sat at my laptop (A), from which I can SSH to my desktop (B). If
I were sat at my desktop (or indeed connected to it via SSH) I could
SSH from it to the VM (C).

So I can SSH from A to B, and from B to C, but not directly from A to C.

I "know" (as in I have done it before and I can find instructions
online, but I'm not an expert!) how to use the connection from A to B
to give me access to a webserver on B. But I don't know how to put all
these bits together so that I can get from A to B to C, and get myself
access to port 80 on C.

[It happens in this case that B and C are on the same LAN, but at some
point I need to be able to do this if C is somewhere else entirely but
secured to only accept SSH connections from B, thus making it
impossible to go directly from A to C. OpenVPN or similar would
of-course solve the issue for B&C on the same LAN, but not the more
general case.]

So, am I misunderstanding the answers or had (have?) I mis-phrased the question?

Mark