[ALUG] USB Backup Disk problems

Simon Ransome simon at nosher.net
Mon May 8 10:57:34 BST 2017

Hi Steve,

I've had several identical-sounding issues with Seagate 2TB drives, but
in my case they all seemed to be related to overheating, with the drive
in question always seeming to be significantly hotter than the others
when touched. I would quite often find that shutting down for 30 minutes
or so "fixed" it, in that it would re-boot fine with only, as you are
seeing, the occasional file corruption (which was usually trivially
fsck-fixable).

That said, these errors did seem to compound over time until the drive
eventually became functionally useless.

Simon

On 23/04/17 10:15, nev young wrote:
> On 21/04/17 20:10, steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:
>> Hi Geniuses!
>>
>> I have a 2TB Seagate USB disk that is being used with backuppc to
>> store daily backups.  However, almost every day the backup is failing,
>> and attempting to ls the drive gives "input/output error".
<snip>