[ALUG] lappy aboard

Phil Thane phil at pthane.co.uk
Mon May 8 19:40:51 BST 2017

This is Linux related, sort of, so I hope ALUG don't mind the apparently
random question. (cc'd to my old LUG in Wrexham, they're used to mad questions
from me).

I have just bought a canal/river boat and want to use my Linux laptop on it.
The PSU for it is labelled 19v, 4.7 amps. The boat runs on 12v. The simplest
but quite pricy option is to get an inverter to create 220v AC then use the
standard PSU but apart from cost it lacks elegance.

The boat has 2 completely separate circuits (at present, I'll probably re-wire
it next winter). There is a 12v battery charged by the engine that is used for
the engine starter and a few ancillaries such as the horn and nav lights. The
there is another 12v battery charged by a solar panel on the roof used for
cabin lights.

If I connect the two in series I should get 24v then I should be able to
acquire (or even assemble) a DC-DC voltage regulator to bring it down to 19v.

Anyone see any problems with that?

--
Phil Thane

www.pthane.co.uk