[ALUG] Reformatting a PDF

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Wed May 17 09:20:59 BST 2017

On 15 May 2017 at 19:36, mick <mbm at rlogin.net> wrote:

> So - here's an idea (which worked for me). Open the original PDF in any
> PDF viewer (I used the default Mate desktop Document Viewer) and
> resize the image on screen to something sensible. Then use a screenshot
> grabber to snap images of the actual bits you want and paste them into
> a document. Depending upon resolution you might get three or four
> images to a page.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've done in the past, but it's the same
task every year and I thought I'd try and be a bit clever this year
and try to script it.

Not successfully though :-)

> (Though actually, even though the Post Office document is a wierd size,
> I had no problem printing individual pages from Document Viewer to my
> printer.)

Agreed, although I tend to print all of it (or almost all of it) and
having 16 pages each >50% whitespace bugs me enough to try and fix it.

I suspect that extracting the pages as images then using ImageMagick
or similar to combine them into larger images (3 or 4 original pages
per image), then recombining into a new PDF, would probably be the
"simplest" scriptable option.

Thanks all for the tips though. pdftk was new to me and looks like a
useful addition to the list of "must haves".