[ALUG] Looking for a laptop as my T430 has died

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat May 27 13:15:17 BST 2017

My faithful Lenovo/IBM T430 seems to have died so I'm looking for a
replacement.  A similar specification would be fine, price is the
major issue, the T430 is a refurbished one and I'd be quite happy to
go for refurbished again. Requirements are:-

    Third generation core I5 or better processor
    14" screen
    SSD drive (though I could transfer the one from my T430)
    8Gb memory
    USB 3.0
    Gbit ethernet

There's no need for any OS though I guess it will be bound to have
Windows in which case 7 preferred.

There's not so many brands, basically Lenovo, HP/Compaq, Dell,
Fujitsu, Asus and Acer seem to be it.  Does anyone have any comments
on good/bad brands?  I've been happy with the Lenovo T430 (but it has
died!).

So recommendations awaited please.