[ALUG] Python GUIs

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Nov 10 10:29:22 GMT 2017

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 12:09:13PM +0000, Mark Rogers wrote:
> I've only just really started to use Python, so this is very much a
> novice question.
>
> I'd like to create a simple Python GUI to manage a configuration file.
> I'll be developing it on Ubuntu but it'll need to run cross-platform,
> which is one reason I picked Python.
>
> Anyone here have any recommendations as to the best way to do this?
> Google gives me hundreds of options which is great but I'm after
> anecdotes from people I (feel I) know.

I've used two:-

    Python GTK, package python-gtk2 in Ubuntu.  To get started I found
    an existing example of a small[ish] GUI written with it and worked
    from there.  It's fairly straightforward but it needs the standard
    "quite a lot of code" to do anything much, though once you have
    the basics in place you can concentrate on what you want it to do.

    appjar, I found this very recently, it's essentially a wrapper for
    Tkinter but makes creating GUIs trivially simple.  The writer is
    still active and will answer questions on GitHub.  Very simple to
    install as it's a single module that you put on your Python Path.
    It's an excellent way to get a reasonably professional GUI up and
    running without a lot of effort.  Don't be put off by the rather
    gaudy examples, I think they were probably written that way
    because it's been developed in an 'educational' environment.