[ALUG] Firefox 57 woe

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Mon Nov 27 21:52:05 GMT 2017

On 22/11/17 12:28, Bev Nicolson wrote:
> On 22/11/17 11:43, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:
>> On 22 November 2017 at 11:37, Bev Nicolson <lumos at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I had hoped to be prepared for whenever the upgrade to Firefox 57
>>> occurred
>>> but it turns out I haven't been. This is because the Software
>>> Updater hadn't
>>> offered 57. Anyway, it seems I have lost all my ScrapBook pages.
>> <snip>
>> Not sure - isn't it all binary data in your profile?
>>
>> What is Scrapbook?
>>
> ScrapBook is/was a Firefox add on that enabled you to save webpages as
> is. You can add 'sticky notes' or highlight things on them too if you
> want. Or you could.

Bev, if you haven't done much to try to fix it, you may be able to
get-away with downgrading.  I only know how to do this on Synaptic
package manager.  If you have this - cool.  If not, google how to do it!

Actually, first, your data will probably be stored in a subdirectory of

/home/USERNAME/.mozilla/firefox-4.0
replace USERNAME with your username.  Probably best to back up the whole
thing as packages use codes to identify themselves, rather than names.

After backing up.  If you have synaptic.  In the Quick find box, type
firefox.  On the left hand-side, click on installed.  This will show you
the firefox programs you have installed.  I have 3
firefox
firefox-locale-en
xul-ext-ubufox.
First two showed version 57, the last one 3.4(something)

Click on Firefox.  In the package menu, click on Force Version. Chose
56(something) from the drop down list.
Repeat for Firefox-local-en.  Repeat for xul-ext-ubufox, but chose
version 3.3 something.

Once you've done that, click apply and it will install the old version,
over the top of the new version.  Once the install is finished, for each
of these three programs, go to Package menu and tick lock version.  The
icon for each should turn to a padlock.

Hopefully this should move you back to the last version of Firefox. Try
it and see if it is working OK.

I got caught doing an apt-get-upgrade which installed V57 without me
noticing!
Pinning the firefox version is not a viable long term solution.

There is a legacy or long-term support version of firefox you could try,
but I can't remember what it is called.
There's also palemoon, or just switch to chrome, but whatever, you'll
have to get equivalent add-ons to do what you want to do.
If this resurrects your firefox OK, see if there are going to be any
updates to your add-ons to that will work with V57.

Good luck.
Steve