[ALUG] Firefox 57 woe

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Thu Nov 30 16:38:11 GMT 2017

Bev is having a problem replying to list so emailed me off list.
Replying without context, on and off list...

I've googled and managed to find out how to downgrade a package using
apt-get.  Which I will come back to in a moment.

I accidentally installed an update to firefox, tried it, missed my
add-ons, so downgraded using synaptic.  Once I had downgraded, I had to
tweak the toolbars etc, but everything worked again.  I didn't lose
anything.  So it's probably worth trying.

Palemoon looks nice to me, like an old version of Firefox.  Many firefox
plugins work directly in Palemoon, however not all.  If a firefox update
has been updated to work on the new firefox, it is probable that it will
not work on Palemoon.  It's worth giving it a go I guess.  I also guess
that Palemoon won't have as big a team behind it as Chrome or Firefox,
so from a security point of view, you're probably best with a big-name
browser at least for stuff like shopping!

This link helped on how to downgrade.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/138284/how-to-downgrade-a-package-via-apt-get

Shutdown firefox first.

Use
apt-cache showpkg <package-name> to show a list of available versions
for a package (firefox produces pages!)
Do it for firefox, firefox-locale-en and xul-ext-ubufox.
My versions for these are 56.0+build6-0ubuntu1, 56.0+build6-0ubuntu1 and
3.3-0ubuntu2.

Apparently you can then do

sudo apt-get install <package-name>=<package-version-number>

so I guess you'd do all three on one line:

sudo apt-get install firefox=56.0+build6-0ubuntu1
firefox-locale-en=56.0+build6-0ubuntu1
xul-ext-ubufox=3.3-0ubuntu2

(all on one line).

If that works, then see if firefox works & has downgraded.
If all's OK, then try

apt-mark hold <package-name> which "holds" the package at the current
version, preventing automatic upgrades.

sudo apt-mark hold firefox firefox-locale-en xul-ext-ubufox

Hope this helps.

Steve