[ALUG] Calendar server recommendations wanted

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Oct 6 11:21:28 BST 2017

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 10:00:55AM +0100, Phil Thane wrote:
> You've prompted me to do something about it. It seems newer version of
> Nextcloud do have a simple updater, but first one has to update...
>
> Details here:
> https://nextcloud.com/blog/get-up-to-date-with-the-new-nextcloud-updater/
>
> Will give it a try.

I've been looking at NextCloud but it seems like overkill for my
requirements, I don't want file sharing, I don't want zillions of
add-ons and apps, I don't want to have to use a mySql database, etc.
etc.

Just working through the requirements seems quite a bit of work, other
software (e.g. WordPress, Dokuwiki) manage a simple installer that
asks minimal questions and then 'just works'.  OK, if I was installing
for multiple users and was seriously worried about security etc. then
it might make sense but I will have just one (or maybe two) users and
security really isn't an issue, there isn't going to be sensitive
information on the server and the (possibly) two users know everything
about each other anyway! :-)

My wife just wants a calendar she can use from her Android tablet and
from her (Linux) laptop.  Maybe Google Calendar is the way to go.