[ALUG] wake up GUI

Phil Thane phil at pthane.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 21:04:42 BST 2017

OK, I'm inviting trouble here but bear with me.

I run an old desktop PC, headless as a file/webserver. My wife's PC backs up to
it and I mirror most of my desktop on it using Nextcloud. My only previous
experience with web servers has been running Wordpress etc on hosted platforms
whee all the setup stuff is done via Cpanel. No Cpanel on my DIY server though
so to make life easier it runs a desktop distro (currently Lubuntu) and VNC. I
can do any admin via KRDC from my desktop.

During set up all this works OK, but the Lubuntu desktop goes blank after a
few minutes inactivity, KRDC connects fine but all I see is black screen. The
only way I can find to get back in is to reboot (using SSH), restart VNC then
re-connect KRDC before the blackout kicks in.

A while ago I did this and tried to find a setting to keep the screen alive for
ever, as there's no actual screen attached it would make little difference to
power consumption. I thought I'd found it, but obviously not as it still
blanks. Anyone got any idea?

I'm not totally averse to CLI work, providing it's a simple command to solve a
specific issue like this, but I really don't want to learn how to do everything
I need to do on the server that way!

--
Phil Thane

www.pthane.co.uk