[ALUG] wake up GUI

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Oct 12 09:58:33 BST 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 09:04:42PM +0100, Phil Thane wrote:
> OK, I'm inviting trouble here but bear with me.
>
> I run an old desktop PC, headless as a file/webserver. My wife's PC backs up to
> it and I mirror most of my desktop on it using Nextcloud. My only previous
> experience with web servers has been running Wordpress etc on hosted platforms
> whee all the setup stuff is done via Cpanel. No Cpanel on my DIY server though
> so to make life easier it runs a desktop distro (currently Lubuntu) and VNC. I
> can do any admin via KRDC from my desktop.
>
> During set up all this works OK, but the Lubuntu desktop goes blank after a
> few minutes inactivity, KRDC connects fine but all I see is black screen. The
> only way I can find to get back in is to reboot (using SSH), restart VNC then
> re-connect KRDC before the blackout kicks in.
>
> A while ago I did this and tried to find a setting to keep the screen alive for
> ever, as there's no actual screen attached it would make little difference to
> power consumption. I thought I'd found it, but obviously not as it still
> blanks. Anyone got any idea?
>
> I'm not totally averse to CLI work, providing it's a simple command to solve a
> specific issue like this, but I really don't want to learn how to do everything
> I need to do on the server that way!

What programs do you run to administer the server?

You don't really need the whole desktop do you?  If not then you can
run GUI programs on your desktop using ssh and X, e.g.:-

    chris$ ssh -X esprimo
    chris at esprimo$ sqliteman
    Checking for  sqlite3 :
    3.11.0 2016-02-15 17:29:24 3d862f207e3adc00f78066799ac5a8c282430a5f
    Checking for Qt version:  4.8.7
    Initial DB:  ""
    chris at esprimo$

This runs sqliteman on the *server* using your desktop for display,
the same can be done with just about any GUI program.