[ALUG] Ubuntu 17.04 sleeping?

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Thu Oct 12 15:31:49 BST 2017

On 12/10/17 10:28, Clark, Adrian F wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a machine running Ubuntu 17.04 (desktop version) on a Dell Optiplex 5050 which needs to run a long shell script (doing some machine learning runs) overnight.  I've turned off suspend via Unity's "power management" control panel but it looks as though the machine still goes to sleep after being left alone for an hour.  I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to what's going on?

Sometimes there are different programs that can trigger sleep or
shutdown.  Have a look at any power programs and any screensavers -
sometimes screensaver can trigger a shutdown or sleep.  It might be
worth looking at any tasks that are running and look for any power
managers or screensavers.

If you can't find anything else to tweak/turn off, there is a program I
think called Caffeine which is designed to disable a screensaver/sleep
for a while.  There may be other similar programs that do the same job.

I would say, are you sure it's going to sleep?  Sometimes screensavers
turn off the screen hardware but the processor remains running.  Could
that be what's happening?  If that is happening, moving the mouse should
make it wake up, whereas waking from sleep would usually require
pressing the power button to wake-up.

Good luck.
Steve