[ALUG] Ubuntu 17.04 sleeping?

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Thu Oct 12 15:50:58 BST 2017

On 12/10/17 15:31, steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:
> On 12/10/17 10:28, Clark, Adrian F wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have a machine running Ubuntu 17.04 (desktop version) on a Dell
>> Optiplex 5050 which needs to run a long shell script (doing some
>> machine learning runs) overnight.  I've turned off suspend via
>> Unity's "power management" control panel but it looks as though the
>> machine still goes to sleep after being left alone for an hour.  I
>> wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to what's going on?
>
> Sometimes there are different programs that can trigger sleep or
> shutdown.  Have a look at any power programs and any screensavers -
> sometimes screensaver can trigger a shutdown or sleep.  It might be
> worth looking at any tasks that are running and look for any power
> managers or screensavers.
>
> If you can't find anything else to tweak/turn off, there is a program
> I think called Caffeine which is designed to disable a
> screensaver/sleep for a while.  There may be other similar programs
> that do the same job.
>
> I would say, are you sure it's going to sleep?  Sometimes screensavers
> turn off the screen hardware but the processor remains running.  Could
> that be what's happening?  If that is happening, moving the mouse
> should make it wake up, whereas waking from sleep would usually
> require pressing the power button to wake-up.

Follow up.

I don't have Unity on my version of *buntu, but from what I recall this
looks like how to access the power settings.
http://mygeekopinions.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/how-to-access-power-management-settings.html

I think the default screensaver is called Light-locker and that it can
trigger shutdown and/or sleep too.
An alternative screensaver is XScreensaver.  Have  a look if either of
these is installed and then hunt for their settings.  If you have
xscreensaver installed, you can get to the settings via

xscreensaver-command -prefs

I believe you can get to light-locker's settings via command

light-locker-settings.

Good luck

Steve