[ALUG] wake up GUI

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Thu Oct 12 22:24:46 BST 2017

On 12/10/17 14:15, Phil Thane wrote:
[snip]
> I think I'm going to have to start from scratch though, somehow I've managed
> to lock myself out of Nextcloud and can't get back in without the MariaDB/SQL
> details, which were on a piece of paper that disappeared when we moved house!
hope you fix it.

[snip]

> The SSH X thing looks useful, not seen that before, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

SSH -X *IS* useful, BUT, it is regarded as a security risk.  You have to
specifically edit your sshd config file to allow it.

A quick google found this
https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/14815/security-concerns-with-x11-forwarding
however there may be many more.  Google "ssh x11 forwarding risk" or
similar.  (The -X means x11 forwarding.)

If you're inside a secure network and your client is as secure as your
server, I wouldn't have thought that there was a problem, but I think
the consensus is that it could be, which is why it's disabled by default.

Hope that helps.

Steve