[ALUG] Huge increase in spam

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Tue Oct 24 10:01:03 BST 2017

Hi all,

Well, after many years of my Linux mail filters working very well, I've
noticed a significant increase in spam over the last week, and last
night I got 33 alone, an unheard of number.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I use postfix, blacklists, postgrey, spamassassin (and a Bayesian DB),
with all the usual postfix settings to discourage spammers. I also use a
honeytrap third party MX server which traps and records some spam.

Normally, once in a while I'll see a small increase in soam, and then
the RBLs kick in and it stops after a few hours. However, I can't even
find much of a pattern in the emails; there are a couple of regular IPs
- now firewalled out - but in the main they are random. There must be a
massive Windows-based botnet out there with some new spamming software
on it. It's certainly dealing with grey-listing now.

Ideas anyone?

Cheers, Laurie.
                               Laurie Brown
                           laurie at brownowl.com