[ALUG] Are there any Regular Expression gurus here?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Oct 29 14:53:56 GMT 2017

I'm fairly happy most of the time using REs and can come up with some
hairy looking stuff occasionally but I can't, at the moment, see a way
to do this:-

I want to match two lines like the following using a Regular
Expression:-

abcmnoxyz
=========

The first line is essentially random, the second line will be all the
same character of a limited number of possibles (=, - and maybe a
couple more). The lines can probably be required to be the same length
but it would be nice if they didn't have to be. It would be OK to have
multiple REs, one for each possible 'underline' character.

It's not a fixed length by the way, the minimum length will probably
be 4 characters or so.

Can anyone come up with a way to do this?