[ALUG] Intelligently deleting thumbnail images

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Thu Sep 7 11:07:34 BST 2017

On 07/09/17 10:43, Mark Rogers wrote:
> A friend lost all their photos from their phone; luckily they had been
> on a MicroSD card and photorec recovered them all for me, and renrot
> renamed them all (and fixed their timestamps) based on their EXIF
> data.
>
> So what I now have is a directory of images, but of-course the phone
> had created thumbnails and the recovery has recovered them as well,
> and I'd like to delete them.
>
> As a human it's easy to do: find two images that "look" the same, and
> delete the smaller one. But there are hundreds so this human isn't up
> for the job.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to do this in software?
>
> Just deleting all the smaller images isn't enough as there do seem to
> be some small images for which there isn't a larger counterpart (I'm
> guessing maybe they came from the front facing camera or some other
> source).

Well, sorting by size sorts the first problem, but not the second.

If there's a way of sorting them so they small and large versions are
together, then a two-pane approach with sorted by size on one side, and
sorted by pairing on the other would make the job easier.

Sadly, I don't know of a tool to do it automatically.

Cheers, Laurie.
                               Laurie Brown
                           laurie at brownowl.com