[ALUG] Disk labels and partition names

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 16:05:17 BST 2017

In my experiments with RPi backups, I note that the SD card has a
label and that label is used when the partitions are mounted (eg disk
label: 0xbff5ebb9, and /etc/fstab using PARTUUID=bff5ebb9-01 and
bff5ebb9-02).

Is it better that I (a) change my fstab to mount by partition name
(/dev/sda1, /dev/sda2) and let the disk labels vary when duplicating
across multiple Pi's, or (b) leave fstab to use the disk label and
leave it the same across multiple Pi's?

There's also option (c) which is to generate a new disk label but
update fstab accordingly on restore. I'd rather avoid that unless
there's a convincing argument for it though.

I guess what I'm asking is how much it matters if lots of Pi's have
the same disk label, and also weighed against that how much it is an
advantage to mount based on disk ID instead of partition number.

Mark