[Alug] GPRS on Debian

Andrew Savory lists at andrewsavory.com
Wed Nov 6 20:03:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I finally took the plunge and went for GPRS, and thought I'd share my
linux configuration experiences in case anyone else has to go through the
same pain as I did!

* Why would you want to do this?

- Faster connection whilst on the road (up to 5x the speed of a dialup
connection over a GSM mobile connection)

- The geek factor

* Why wouldn't you want to do this?

- On most networks a GPRS connection is more expensive per mb than a
dialup connection (call charges work out less than per mb charges!)

- Super high latency link: don't expect to be IRCing from it, but fine for
email downloading etc.

* What do you need?

- A computer running linux (Debian in this example)
- A mobile phone with GPRS support
- A mobile phone service provider, with GPRS enabled on your account

I'm on O2, using a Sony Ericsson T68i over infrared to my Debian laptop.
These details should be more or less the same regardless of distribution,
network or phone:  the only things you need to check are the "APN" (access
point name, eg "mobile.o2.co.uk"), username and password, and dial string.

* How?

Configuring a successful computer-phone connection is beyond the scope of
this. Get that working first! Once you have a working connection to your
phone (eg you can set up a normal dialup connection using it), you need to
configure a new ppp connection with the following two files:

- /etc/ppp/peers/o2gprs
- /etc/chatscripts/gprs-connect-chat

File /etc/ppp/peers/o2gprs:

--- begin o2gprs ---
# o2 GPRS settings
debug
hide-password
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/chatscripts/gprs-connect-chat"
# The next line is the port you talk to your phone on, and may need editing
/dev/ircomm0
115200
noipdefault
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
local
novj
novjccomp
noccp
default-asyncmap
nomagic
# The next line is your telco's username: it may need editing depending on your provider
user "web"
defaultroute
persist
disconnect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/gprs-disconnect-chat"
remotename o2gprs
ipparam o2gprs
--- end o2gprs ---

File /etc/chatscripts/gprs-connect-chat:

--- begin gprs-connect-chat ---
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED
'' ATZ
OK-AT-OK 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","MOBILE.O2.CO.UK"'
OK-AT-OK 'AT+CGQREQ=1,0,0,0,0,0'
OK-AT-OK 'AT+CGQMIN=1,0,0,0,0,0'
OK-AT-OK 'AT+CGATT=1'
# The next line is your dial string: it may need editing depending on your phone
OK-AT-OK 'ATD*99#'
TIMEOUT 42
CONNECT \d\c
# prelogin

# ispname
# isppassword
# postlogin
--- end gprs-connect-chat ---

Finally, edit /etc/ppp/options and comment-out lcp-echo-interval and
lcp-echo-failure.

Test the connection using pppd call o2gprs and watch /var/log/syslog for
details. (eg use tail -f /var/log/syslog)

* Other useful details

You'll need to tweak your MTA to send outgoing mail via smtp.o2.co.uk (or
similar for other providers, check with them for details).

* Closing remarks

I'd welcome any feedback from others trying to do this ... I'll eventually
put this on a page somewhere (eg the ALUG site). And yes, this email is
coming to you via GPRS (hopefully!).

Andrew.

--
All views are my own .... who else would want them?