[ALUG] Anyone like Bing?

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 11:18:24 BST 2009

steveydoteu wrote:
> Also, more to the point perhaps, why is it that big a deal, the entire
> first page of search results are related to the term you searched for.
> If you know the URL you want you would go to it directly anyway, and
> those results would be ample for someone looking for information on OOo.

Interesting to compare with a Bing search for Microsoft, which (quite
correctly) biases the results to sites with microsoft in the domain
name. To be fair, a Bing search for Google is similarly successful,
although that would be a bit obvious if it wasn't.

Amusingly, given how closely MS guard their trademark on the name
"Windows", a search for
    alternatives to windows
is completely dominated by results for replacement windows (ie those
things you stick in the wall to look out of).

I would actually prefer that Google had some competition in the search
engine market, but unfortunately it doesn't currently look like Bing
delivers that.

--
Mark Rogers // More Solutions Ltd (Peterborough Office) // 0845 45 89 555
Registered in England (0456 0902) at 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG